I attended the Twin Ports Summer Jam at Duluth East High School. On the drive home I was thinking about all the players that stood out during the day. Here are my top players that I watched from the classes of 2027, 2028, 2029, and 2030.
2027
Carter Brown (Duluth Denfeld): Easily one of the most skilled players in the Northwoods this season, and you see his versatility every time he's on the court. At the Twin Ports Summer Jam there were multiple dunks in different fashions, which are eye catching enough. Him being a smooth athlete makes watching his games enjoyable. It's no secret going into this season that Brown will be their primary threat.
Ray Brau (Hibbing): Brau did what he always does. I think most opponents know what Brau is capable of doing, and even with double teams they still struggle to stop him. The most impressive thing with Brau is how consistent he always is. It seems that he always adds something new to his game every time I see him play.
Reid Charles (Superior): It's been a great summer for Reid. He seems ready to take a bigger role for the Spartans this season. If he can be Mr. Consistent for them, it will help anchor a younger team. The 6'0" guard has shown his capability to knock down shots. It has felt like his scoring capabilities has become more versatile since I watched him play during the season. Expect him to have the ball in his hands more being one of the only upperclassmen for Superior.
Max Jazdzewski (Cloquet): At 6'5" it's easy to stand out. When you add in the capability of being a good shooter, it's makes someone almost impossible to miss. There didn't appear to be much height for Cloquet heading into this season, which will require him to play multiple different roles if they are going to find success.
Kam Kroll (Northwestern): He's been a staple the last few seasons, and I'm sure Heart O' North coaches will be happy to see him gone after this season. Two things have really stood out to me about Kroll this summer, outside of his scoring capabilities (which I've talked about a lot previously). First, I think he has made a very conscious effort to get his teammates involved more and creating to get them open shots. Second, when he doesn't have the ball he is constantly talking to guys trying to get them in the right spots.
Simon Winkels (Duluth East): Winkels continues to prove that he is an elite defender and able to change the game in different ways. His length at 6'6" always messes with teams whether it's blocking shots or making passes tougher. There should be plenty of opportunities for Winkels to make a name for himself this season after graduating Ty Nyberg. The Greyhounds are going to be looking for someone to help fill some of that shooting to help stretch the floor more, and Winkels is more than capable.
2028
Braxdyn Male (Esko): The 6'1" guard keeps showing how good of a summer he's had so far. One thing I really enjoyed about Male is the amount of times I saw him sprint the court hard when he didn't have the ball, resulting in a couple of layups (even a dunk). Expect him to be be one of the more dynamic scorers this upcoming season.
Cooper Maras (Mountain Iron-Buhl): This was the second time I've seen Maras play this summer and I came away impressed again this time. I would say he doesn't have the ball in his hands nearly as much as other people on this list, but he always finds ways to impact the game. It always seems like he's getting a steal, backdoor cut, or making some other momentum play for MIB.
Ty Schingen (Duluth East): One of the better players in the area at being able to get to the hoop and finish, especially when there's contact. That physicality helps him on the defensive side as well. Pairing him and Winkels to guard opponents best players should make things tough. Same as for Winkels on the offensive side, there are going to be more opportunities for him to show his game with Nyberg having graduated.
Jayden Symiczek (Esko): It felt like if it wasn't Braxdyn Male doing something for Esko, it was Jayden. These two play off each other very well and seem to be able to identify the right moments for each of them to take over. His shooting ability stood out and that helps him be able to get downhill and score. His defense resulted in steals and fastbreak baskets for Esko.
2029
Joseph Dupree Jr (Duluth Denfeld): Coming off a season where he started as a freshman, he's going to have more asked from him. Along with a high basketball IQ, he brings a different level of energy Denfeld. You almost always see the energy shift in a game when Dupree playing. With Denfeld not having a ton of size, energy and scrappy play are needed, and he should be leading that charge. Denfeld has had some really good guards graduate the last few years, and I really hope Dupree continues that trend.
Braydon Horton (Superior): Braydon got hot in one game and made at least five three pointers. I've seen other games this summer where made a similar amount of threes in AAU. If he can continue to knock down shots for Superior, he should be able to grow into a good role moving forward.
Cooper LeBard (Superior): The main thing that stands out with LaBard is that he is a very good passer. He's able to create a lot of open shots for teammates just by reading defenses and getting the ball to teammates in positions where they can score. He saw varsity time as a freshman and he should be depended on for more as a sophomore.
2030
Louie Johnson (Northwestern): He's been one of the most consistent players showing up to summer leagues/tournaments for Northwestern this summer. There are moments that he has looked really good, and then moments when you remember he's a about to be a freshman. He does a great job handling the ball and getting the Tigers into their offense.
Nate Schultz (Superior): Perhaps the most physically ready freshman you will see in the area. He looks like one of the most mature freshman you are going to see. Listed at 6'0", the guard plays well beyond his age. He hit multiple tough mid-range jumpers that he made. His effort and poise are the main things that stood out to me. Expect him to be a big contributor this season.
Jacob Sykes (Duluth East): One of the players I am the most excited about heading into this season, and moving forward. Seems that he's feeling more and more comfortable playing with this group. With his skillset, I expect him to become a "go-to" guy as the season progresses. I think he has some of the best shot selection for a freshman that I have seen in a very long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment